|Return to List|
NOW YOU KNOW .... THE HISTORY BEHIND OUR NAME
Posted on Mar 19th, 2018
The Story of Fox’s Mills
In October of 1786, Amos Fox, age 47, was granted by the Court of Fairfax County, 1 acre of land on which to build a mill on Difficult Run. This is at the present intersection of Fox Mill Road and Waples Mill Road. His parents, George and Mary Fox, had come to Virginia from New Jersey. Amos decided to build a grist mill for grinding grain into flour.
Three of his sons, Morris, Isaac and Gabriel inherited the milling business. By 1840, there were three mills housed together in one large three-story building. The mills were woolen, grist and flour. Gabriel Fox ran the mills himself and was considered to be a wealthy man. Around 1840, Gabriel married a woman from Alexandria and moved her out to the country. There was no school for the children of the area to attend, so Mrs. Fox had a one room log school house erected and it was referred to as “The school at Fox’s Mills”. The school was located on Waples Mill Road just a mile from present day Route 50.
Both Fox Mill Road and Fox Mill Estates are named in the memory of the three mills belonging to the Fox Family.
This history was researched by Linda H. Sittig, who at the time of the report, was a reading specialist at Fox Mill Elementary School. Ever since Linda was a teenager, she has had a keen interest in history. She has gone on to a career of writing historical fiction. Linda is also an active blogger.